Friday, May 12, 2023

Spring Yoga, Reiki & Meditation


Spring is in full swing here and the way we move and feel can be influenced by our environment.  The shifts of nature have long inspired my yoga practice and helped me to adjust and adapt to what is needed moment to moment. 

Gentle Yoga & Guided Meditation ZOOM practice 
Wednesday 5/31/23 7:30p-8:30p ET
This month I'll be sharing a slower practice with longer held poses using supportive props (blankets/bolsters/blocks) followed by a ~20 minute guided meditation for rest and relaxation as spring shifts into summer. Over the last few years, I've been leading online classes to honor the transition of the seasons. These moments are meaningful to me as there is beauty within each phase and ways to be with each season. In my home practice, I have found that moving slowly with intention helps me find balance in my life and in my health. 

Health is built on balance, literally every cell in every body system has a role in finding balance. This process known as homeostasis is so important that the body has amazing compensatory mechanisms to bide time until homeostasis can be achieved. Rest is essential in this process. Restorative yoga is the use of props to create conditions of physical comfort, ease, and safety so that we can restore ourselves, allowing time and space for our bodies to adjust to a state of equilibrium. Resting in a supportive state enhances our body awareness, attentiveness and presence, regulates our emotions (hormones), and assists our sensory processing functions.  This directly impacts our nervous system which is seen in our reactiveness and our responsiveness. In an effort to integrate all of these benefits, we simply need to get grounded (earth connection), lean into our supports (yoga props!), and find space within our days to rest. 

Reiki Self Practice 
Wednesday 6/7/23 at 12n ET on ZOOM.
Many of you know I share yoga + reiki in my class offerings. It is a powerful combination with mutual benefits of stress reduction, improved sleep, and relaxation. After many years of teaching reiki practice, I have been thinking more on how to share reiki for self care and community connection. Since I am no longer affiliated with any yoga studios and I don't have an in-person space, many of my offerings have been online. Over the past two years, I have been sharing free seasonal classes from my home to yours through the ZOOM platform which widens the circle of connection for those who may or may not live near me. I've decided to offer a reiki self practice session. We will meet for ~20 minutes as a mid-day moment of reconnection and meditation. I am opening this up to everyone, those who have trained in reiki, and those interested in learning about reiki. Reiki is a Japanese healing practice that encourages rest, balance, emotional, and physical well being. Our hands are extensions of our heart, with focus and attention we can send care and compassion to ourselves. Reiki works on the body, mind, and spirit to relax the sympathetic nervous system ('fight or flight') and activate the parasympathetic nervous system ('rest and digest'). My intention is to offer reiki through a guided self practice as well as exploring other reiki techniques that can bring balance and peace into our days. Email: heronyoga@gmail.com for the ZOOM links.


THANK YOU to all who signed up for the 4-week 'Strength Series' I hosted on ZOOM in March. I'm grateful for the messages and supportive feedback, which is so helpful in guiding me on sharing future offerings. The recordings are available for purchase. For class details and to learn more about the benefits of building strength, read on here

For those who can't join my live zoom, practice anywhere, anytime!
FREE Yoga and FREE Guided Meditations

I recorded a ~60 minute 'Spring Flow' yoga class that focuses on twisting, balancing, and strengthening for enhanced circulation and energy activation within the body/heart/mind. 

'Rest & Restore' is a guided meditation I wrote that highlights our connection with nature. This meditation practice offers a space to ease into the seasonal shifts of our current moment. 


This spring marked one full year of sharing yoga in Melrose at the Milano Senior Center! My Thursday mornings teaching Yoga (8:45a) and Chair Yoga (10a) continue to be a joy as I get to know more people in the community and guide a practice that brings so many wonderful moments of care and connection.  I also teach Chair Yoga (11a) on Monday mornings in Wakefield at the McCarthy Senior Center September through May. 
Participants must be 60+, those living in surrounding towns and cities are welcome.



Wishing you all a beautiful month of May! 
Enjoy all the trees and flowers in bloom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment