Friday, April 14, 2023

Building Strength


4-week Strength Series 

Each class focuses on functional movements that build strength and endurance, offering a dynamic yoga experience by adding in props (weights, bands, blocks) and moving in different ways. This series is great if you are new to resistance training and want to learn accessible ways to get stronger. 

I'm asking $20 for all 4 recorded classes. Venmo: @Michelle-Heron-9 


Read on to learn more about how I started building strength... 


As I grow older,  related changes are happening in my mind and body. 

I need glasses to read now, my right knee has a pinching sensation when I walk down a steep hill, I feel short of breath when I walk up a steep hill, and my right hip clicks with every rotation. These chronic aches and pains combined with becoming easily fatigued makes me feel vulnerable. This is not a feeling I enjoy and I have been seeking ways to meet these sensations in my body with care and gentle intervention. My search began with reading, researching, and making slow but intentional changes to the way I move. 

Here is what I discovered.

As the body inevitably ages, certain changes can occur in the reserve and function of various physiological systems of the body. Aging is associated with a progressive decrease in skeletal muscle mass, a condition known as sarcopenia. Sedentary aging combined with inactive lifestyles are associated with age related functional decline and deficits. These changes can lead to a decrease in muscle strength, joint mobility, reaction time coupled with +/- changes in the sensory system, lowered respiratory muscle strength, and cardiac capacity. Muscle strength begins to decline around the age of 40, this decline starts to accelerate around age 65-70. Changes in sensory, motor, and cognitive systems impact our biomechanics which directly impacts our functional movements in life. These changes combined with environmental factors affect our balance and mobility. Flexibility and joint range of motion declines by 20-30% in our hips and spine, with a 30-40% decline in ankle mobility by the age of 70. Bone density declines 0.5% or more after the age of 40 and women have a higher degree of bone loss after menopause. 

Here is the good news.

Weight bearing exercises, resistance training, and high impact exercises can be used to offset the effects of muscle loss, bone loss, and the process of sarcopenia. Strength training 2-3 times a week can reduce physical disability and improve functional abilities. Progressive resistance training has the most impact on improving strength when compared to other impairments in the older population. Strength training can decrease pain and stiffness, as well as increase strength and flexibility in people with arthritis or inflammatory conditions. Weight bearing and high impact exercises can also build bone density and reduce the risk of falls by improving lower limb strength. Benefits of strength training show decreases in pain, a boost in metabolism, and improved mental/emotional health. Strength training 2-3 times a week with 8-12 repetitions per exercise combined with aerobic workouts such as walking, running, swimming, rowing, or cycling for 30 minutes daily increases your stamina, reduces fatigue, increases heart/lung fitness, and bone/muscle strength over time. 

Over the past two years I have been adding weights and resistance bands into my yoga practice. Enhancing my body awareness and increasing my effort has shown me my strength potential. Building strength has improved my wellbeing, self esteem, and self confidence. It has given me the courage to share all that I share with others. Living the practice of yoga offers benefits on all aspects of the body (spiritual/mental/emotional/physical) as well as working with the understanding that biological, psychological, environmental, and social factors exist within the complex world we navigate which has a direct effect on our health. 

Since I have been exploring movement by adding resistance with weights and bands in a progressive, mindful, appropriately paced way, I feel more resilient and empowered. I sleep better, I have more energy, I choose what I'm consuming (food, news, social interactions, purchases) in a renewed and thoughtful way. In addition, I've added daily walking into my life for increased circulation, improved digestion, and stress relief. Inviting friends, family and pets into the walking experience adds joy and mental stimulation with conversation and connection. 

Aging is a natural progression of our existence and I am humbled by the beauty and wisdom that exists within the process of aging. I am not looking to become "ageless" or look younger than I am, my goal is to thrive as I meet each new stage of my life. As a young mother, I was conscious of parenting my children through the early stages of development fully witnessing each amazing stage of growth. Now my kids are shifting into adolescence and I wonder if Mother Nature laughs at the onset of puberty and menopause coinciding for parent and child. With all of this to reflect on, I am looking to create longevity in my life, continuing to connect and be present with my children as they age. My decisions and actions are about nurturing the things that will outlive me. I'm redefining what success means to me and learning new ways of doing things with the hope of leaving this world better than when I came into it. 

Building strength is a conscious act of courage to meet feelings, sensations, and discomfort. It is more than physical strength, it is a whole body awareness of meeting yourself where you are and working from that point forward. Strength builds our capacity to make change.

In March 2023, I shared a 4-week Strength Series online and recorded the classes. Each week focused on a different functional movement building strength and endurance, creating a dynamic yoga experience by adding in props (weights, bands, blocks) and moving in different ways. This series is great if you are new to resistance training and want to learn accessible ways to get stronger. 

I'm asking $20 for all 4 classes. Venmo: @Michelle-Heron-9 

Resources:

If you are interested in learning more about how to build strength check out Mindful Strength. Kathryn Bruni Young has a sensible, safe, and progressive approach to building strength for people of all ages. I spent a year with Kathryn as she was the lead teacher in my 300 hour YTT from 2021-2022. I learned so much during that experience and am so appreciative of the continued inspiration. 

Another great teacher I had the pleasure of continuing education with is Mary Richards. Her knowledge combined with yoga philosophy and compassionate teaching style brought everything together for me. Mary is the inspiration behind my 4-week Strength Series. Mary brings thoughtful, playful, accessible, and functional ways to embody the yoga practice while building and maintaining strength. Mary's new book 'Teach People Not Poses' speaks for itself. 

References:

Aartolahti E, Lonnroos E, Hartikainen S, Hakkinen A. Long-term strength and balance training in prevention of decline in muscle strength and mobility in older adultsAging Clin Exp. Res. 2020;32(I):59-66. doin:10.1007/s40520-019-0115-0

Mangione KK, Miller AH, Naughton IV. Cochrane review: improving physical function and performance with progressive resistance strength training in older adults. Physical Therapy Journal. 2016; 90(12): 1711-1715

No comments:

Post a Comment