Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Yoga for Self Care and Compassion


I've been practicing many different styles of yoga since 2000. For me, movement is a necessity. Over the years there were many teachers that impacted my practice and changed it for the better. Some classes were terrible for me but still a learning experience. For those who are just starting out and have had some not so great experiences, I say keep going. I believe there are classes and styles out there for everyone, the fun is searching for them. It is in the curiosity of moving that you will find a way that works for your body. Here are some poses/shapes that will hopefully inspire movement, deep breathing and moments of stillness. I've included phrases that I say in my classes and to myself when I practice that have helped me. 

Maybe they will help you too.



Explore any variation of these shapes that feel accessible for your body.



Be gentle with yourself and your experience.




Breathe in a way that feels spacious, expansive, grounded and connected.




Stay present with what arises and meet yourself where you are. 



Find moments in the day just for you.



Keep going, keep growing.


For those interested in a slower flow, my most recently recorded class Blocks and Bands is a 50 minute practice that highlights the use of props for options, challenge, and strengthening. Also, there are still 3 more free in-person classes at the Melrose Public Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment