Sunday, May 29, 2022

It's in Our Hands

 


 The daily flow of news with regard to world events is distressing and the emotional intensity that builds up is difficult to console. I find the thoughts of Michelle C. Johnson from her book 'Finding Refuge: Heartwork for Healing Collective Grief', comforting, during these challenging times. Finding refuge is a must in an effort to move forward with empathy. 


Ten years ago on my birthday, the horrific events of Sandy Hook brought me to a place of deep sadness. Soon after I became aware of the efforts of Moms Demand Action and began to educate myself about these violent acts and how change is possible. It may seem like we are stagnant in this fight, but change takes time. I found this recent podcast with Shannon Watts empowering, providing tangible ways to turn apathy into action. 

Over the last few years, I have been combining yoga + reiki as a way to care for the anxiety and stress that I experience in life. Reiki is a Japanese healing practice of positive intention sent through the hands. It is an active effort of listening and presence. I share the benefits of moving, breathing, and meditating as resources for nervous system support. When I feel an overwhelming sense of grief and anger, I refocus my efforts toward self care to help increase my capacity to be of service to others. Whatever self care looks like for you, lean into it, know that there is support, and change is inevitable. 



Compassion is action.


Your hands are extensions of your heart, 
where intention goes energy flows.


We carry each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment