Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Writing as Meditation

 


"Leaning into gratitude, we begin to notice the everyday miracles that were right in front of us all along."

Katrina Kenison

Writing has always been a way for me to bring understanding within my relationship to self, others, and the world around me. To reflect deeply is to look, listen, and feel. Writing can be transforming, I use it as mediation, as therapy, it helps me to find clarity when emotions build up, or when grief, sadness, and anger feel overwhelming. Writing is a release. I write to let go of thoughts, experiences, and things I can't change. I write to make sense of the senseless, when confusion, uncertainty, and fear surrounds me.

Writing is a process of inquiry, it can be used as a practice of meditation or it can be added in before or after a seated or lying meditation. Creating space within the mind helps to sharpen our ability to be present, to relax our hold on attachments, and to become aware of habitual patterns. 

I love a good writing prompt, and my friend Katrina Kenison who celebrates the ordinary moments of our days asks, "what have you made this year? 

This past year, I have learned new ways of doing things. I have made new friendships, new connections, and met with people all over the world virtually. As a nurse, I have made awful situations more comforting to those who have lost loved ones and supported my colleagues during physically and emotionally draining circumstances. As a mother, I have created safe spaces inside our home for my kids to grow into kind, caring, compassionate human beings who are able to adapt to new surroundings and persevere. I have made art, poetry, and music as a way to nourish my spirit. I have made a winter compost,  planned out my garden for spring, and took a hard look at how much plastic I use and waste I create. I have made choices that support and lift others up instead of staying silent, turning away, or ignoring that injustice, racism and oppression don't exist. I have made time for conversations and discussions that are open ended, so my kids know they can always come to me with their questions and thoughts. I have read other people's words, listened to their stories, and uncovered what hope really means; hearing other people's emotions. I have written in my journal as a form of therapy and meditation. I have made space in my heart for patience, forgiveness,  generosity, and love for myself and for others. 


No comments:

Post a Comment