Monday, December 21, 2020

Shine Your Light


 Today is the Winter Solstice in New England and the sky is gray and overcast. There is not much light from the sun that rose at 7:10 this morning. The shortest day will be a dark one, as the sun sets at 4:13pm. Last week we received a large amount of snow. It has been cold, snow is still covering the trees and piles of it line our streets and sidewalks. 

Welcome winter. 

Typically, winter is a time of rest where many of us hunker down in our houses and enjoy time off as we transition into the new year. But this year has already been a long one with much suffering and loss, and those who have been masking and distancing, in attempt to slow the spread of this insidious virus have already experienced the separation and isolation that winter can bring. This year has been an eye opener for those who choose to stay aware, engaged and curious. World and local news has been difficult to bear witness to, it can feel apathetic to many who don't know how to help or be a part of the solution. I worry for families in crisis, victims of unjust violence, and the helpers who are fatigued mentally and physically. Some people have told me I care too much, and I do. It's also my job to care. I work in healthcare and have had experiences in my career that I never thought I would see. 

Most days I am taking one moment at a time, not focusing too far in advance, holding on to the gifts of ordinary days, and staying inspired as best as I can. We need each other, especially now when we can't touch or see our loved ones. It's easy to get lost in fear when we are left alone for too long. I talk to my Mom everyday and stay in touch with friends and family. I'm so grateful for modern technology! 

While winter can be a dark time, it is also a time of transition, and every day that passes we get closer to the light. We need the balance of dark and light to appreciate the beauty all around us. In the meantime, we can shine our own light outward and help those in need with simple acts of kindness. Sending letters or emails, talking on the phone, checking in on neighbors, or waving at others when we walk outside are all reminders that we are not alone. 

Caring gives hope and when given collectively, it can bring healing. 

Keep caring.

Keep helping.

Keep hoping.

With regard to self care, here are some video practices I recorded filled with movement, breathwork and moments of rest to bring increased energy, stoke our inner fire, and keep your light shining strong and bright. 

Winter Solstice Flow



Yoga for Increased Energy


This month has brought bright beauty in the sky too! Keep a watch on the "Great Conjunction" of Saturn and Jupiter in the south western sky tonight. Read more about this exciting planetary alignment here!

Wishing you all a Happy Solstice and Holiday season!

With love and care,
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment