Tuesday, December 1, 2020

December Offerings

B R E A T H E
 

December is here in New England and we have a few more weeks of fall left before we transition into winter. The changing seasons offer us opportunities to notice more, observe the natural world around us and feel into that connection of living, breathing and being. This time of year, the leaves have completely fallen off most deciduous trees and the evergreens remain. The season of late fall seems most stark as the tree limbs stand bare, the weather becomes colder, the days are shorter, and the call to stay warm and rest more is strong. I live my life by these nature rituals of noticing what changes and what stays the same. It gives me hope to know its rhythm and consistency.

R E L A X 

As I reflect back on the last 15 years of sharing yoga, I am clear on one thing; change is constant. When I first started teaching, a few friends gathered to give me support and help build my confidence in my new endeavor. Their presence and feedback in my life has been such a gift. As I moved on to show up in studio spaces, I continued to confront my fears of public speaking, and developed my own style of teaching. My classes were always small as I didn't feel comfortable promoting myself, but I kept going and my connections kept growing. Years went by and I continued to meet wonderful people who it seemed were teaching me more than I was teaching them. With all the highs and lows of how life unravels, I am still inspired by the beauty of this moment. 2020 has shown us all that nothing stays the same. 

F E E L

In an environment of constant change, it is in the consistency of returning to the pratice that helps me stay present, focused and grounded. There is a lot about the study of yoga that is different for me now, I'm unsure of many things related to the practice, and my place within it. The way I share and embody movement has morphed so much that I'm not sure I could even call it yoga anymore. Honoring the roots of the practice is a process of constant learning and unlearning. Here is a link to an article written by Susanna Barkataki, author of 'Embrace Yoga's Roots': Courageous Ways to Deepen Your Yoga Practice. When I think about teaching yoga, I have to constantly remind myself that the movement or asana part of yoga is only one limb and the philosophy compiles the larger aspects and should be shared appropriately. I will continue to stumble on this path as I attempt to find my way in and through it. 

W A T C H

Movements and meditations that are familiar feel good to return to, they encourage us to stay strong and open to new ways of doing things. Creating potential and fulfillment within our days helps to cultivate a sense of purpose, peace, calm, presence and joy. Staying awake and aware to what is happening to us and in us should be the focus. If I can look more closely, listen more attentively, feel into the moment, and speak the truth instead of what I think others need or expect, then that is the true practice. 


A L L O  W

Finding time to slow down, listen to the mind/body, move purposefully, and breathe with intention has always been the foundation for creating an authentic space that continues to grow beyond the limitations of walls. Returning to rest, ease and comfort is the theme for December. I remember my early days of learning the practice of being present during my teacher training at Kripalu. Stephen Cope shared his thoughts and mantra 'BRFWA' (breathe, relax, feel, watch, and allow), a powerful tool for coming home to ourselves. Read more about it here.

Many thanks for your patience while I navigate a new path, there will be bumps in the road, but life is for learning. 


Virtual Slow Flow

Free class on 12/2 & 12/9

Wednesday evenings 730p-845p

email: heronyoga@gmail.com for details/link.

This is the season of giving and I'm happy to gift 2 free classes this month. Please join me as moving, breathing and meditating is about creating space in your life to find steadiness. My goal is to share a few live movement practices to wrap up our season of late fall before winter begins and see what our New Year of 2021 will bring. Until then, I have free movement videos on YouTube and free guided meditations on Insight Timer

With love and care,

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment