Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Mindful Yoga for Fall

 




"Nature is an alchemist, gathering the last of summer's green and turning it to gold."
Laura Jaworski

October is here with all its magic and beauty. I hope you are enjoying the cooler weather and first few weeks of autumn. I love to celebrate this beautiful, golden month by baking anything with pumpkin, making spiced cider, inviting friends over for a fire, stringing up festive lights to balance out the dark, and cooking all the hearty soups/stews with veggies I grew in my garden or bought at local farms. Last month, I shared a few harvest moon recipes from my home to yours ~ check them out here.

This season brings with it transitions in nature and for some of us schedule changes. For me, there is a shift towards self care, commitment, and supportive routines. Last month, I signed up for an 8-week strength and fitness class at my local Y with the goal of  increasing muscle and bone strength. I'm gaining knowledge, confidence, and inspiration from women who are on the same path and lifting heavier weights. I love learning new things and it turns out that is essential for brain health. Check out this ~40 minute lecture from 'Exercise and the Brain Symposium' with Dr. Art Kramer. 

With my kids back in school, the house is quieter during the day, I can follow through on tasks without interruption, I can snuggle my dog, and thoughtfully plan yoga classes to share each week. I'm adding another chair yoga class (starts October 2) to my weekly schedule at the Melrose Y and offering a FREE 4-week online yoga series through the Melrose Public Library on Tuesdays 11:00am-12:00pm.

Starting October 22, I'll guide you through a Mindful Yoga Flow for fall. 
As we shift into cooler temperatures, with shorter days and longer nights, adding in more grounding, warming practices can help balance the mind, body, and spirit. Each class will include accessible yoga poses, attention to breath, and mindful meditation to bring support and community care for our current season. Suggested props: a yoga mat/towel, chair, strap, blocks, blanket, extra pad for knee cushioning, and a bolster or pillow. Classes are free and open to all to join. Separate registration is required for each session. Registration begins on Tuesday October 15.





Please find my updated schedule and links to FREE yoga and meditation below.


Weekly in-person yoga classes:

$5 drop in at Wakefield and Melrose Senior Centers. 

Monday Chair Yoga (11a-12n) in Wakefield, MA at the McCarthy Senior Center

*NEW* Wednesday Chair Yoga (10a-11a) in Melrose at YMCA Metro North.

Thursday Mat Yoga (8:45a-9:45a) + Chair Yoga (10a-11a) in Melrose, MA at the Milano Senior Center

I'll continue to sub in yoga classes at all Metro North YMCA branches in Melrose, Saugus, Peabody, and Lynn as my schedule allows. 

 I'm scheduled to teach Gentle Yoga on October 5 and 26 10:15a-11:15a and November 9, 10:15a-11:15a at YMCA Metro North in Saugus.


FREE yoga videos on YouTube

FREE guided meditations on Insight Timer



To honor the beginning of fall I made a nature mandala with summer blossoms of sunflower, rose, marigold, and nasturtium surrounded by a wreath of oak leaves to symbolize hope, love, cheer, strength, and transitions. 

Mandala is a Sanskrit word meaning both "circle" and "center" representing the visible world around us and the invisible world within us. September's full moon and lunar eclipse led to the fall equinox, a time of balance and transformation, offering reflection on what we have accomplished. These mandalas symbolize intention in the ordinary moments of the day, staying connected to the earth as the seasons change. Look around your home, go outside for a walk, get into nature, see what beauty you can gather. Nature mandalas are easy to create, just follow your inner wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment