Wednesday, May 1, 2024

May offerings: Yoga, Meditation, and Community Resources

 

"Caring is the bridge that connects us to one another." Thich Nhat Hanh

May is Mental Health Awareness Month and many of you know I began practicing yoga over 20 years ago as a college graduate and young nurse managing anxiety, insomnia, and overwhelm. This many layered practice has been a foundation for me through the years and I lovingly share it within my community. Four years ago, I had the longest stretch of not teaching yoga due to the COVID-19 pandemic. My friends and yoga colleagues were unable to maintain their studios and I lost my spaces to teach. Working as a nurse in the hospital was stressful, uncertain, and scary. It was a time when I really needed to lean into my support systems to cope. This took time, but once I felt safe and grounded within myself, I was able to find a path towards sharing yoga again that aligned with my personal ethics and values. Listening to what was needed and giving myself time was essential. 

There continues to be a lot going on in the world that requires attention, activism, and increased energy to process. Finding ways to stay balanced in mind and body is unique and different for everyone. I believe the practice of self care increases one's capacity to be of service to others and there are many valuable coping resources available. 

Here are a few offerings that may provide support. 

The U.S. Surgeon General talks about the importance of social connection as a way to assist feelings of loneliness, social isolation, and mental health challenges. Health and Human Services has provided specific actions on the healing effects of social connection. 

Tara Brach is a psychologist, author, and Buddhist meditation teacher. She has written books and offers donation based guided meditations and teachings. I have enjoyed her offerings in person and continue to listen as I appreciate her gentle style of blending eastern and western philosophy. I found her most recent podcast and conversation Living with a Courageous Heart in Times of Crisis helpful and insightful. 

The Melrose Health and Wellness Coalition has community trainings available to learn more about mental health awareness. These trainings are free and open to all. 

Every Thursday evening, the city of Melrose offers a Mindful Meditation in-person sitting group at the Milano Center in Melrose, MA. This is a generous and wonderful, free resource (donations accepted) within our community. I had the pleasure of attending a session recently and will be going to more as my schedule allows. 


Here is my teaching schedule for the month of May.

In addition to my weekly yoga offerings in Wakefield and Melrose (see below), I'll be subbing a few yoga classes at the YMCA in May. 

I hope you will join me on Saturday May 11 10:15a-11:15a for Gentle Yoga in Saugus, MA and on Tuesday May 14 6:30p-7:30p for Yoga Flow in Lynn, MA. 

Weekly in-person classes:

$5 drop in at Wakefield and Melrose Senior Centers. 

Monday Chair Yoga (11a-12n) in Wakefield, MA at the McCarthy Senior Center.

Thursday Gentle Yoga (8:45a-9:45a) and Chair Yoga (10a-11a) in Melrose, MA at the Milano Senior Center.

I'll continue to sub in yoga classes as I can at all 4 YMCA Metro North branches in Melrose, Saugus, Peabody, and Lynn. 

I have had requests for more chair based yoga videos and will record one soon. I'm also in the planning stages for a virtual summer yoga series through the Melrose Public Library. Details to follow.

You can find my free yoga videos here and my free guided meditations here.

Mandala is a Sanskrit word meaning both "circle" and "center" representing the visible world around us and the invisible world within us. 

May's new moon nature mandala honors the earth and flowers, bringing cheer and color therapy for mood boosting. This is a busy time of year, sending love out to all going through transitions. Change is constant and hope is essential. These mandalas symbolize intention in the ordinary moments of the day, staying connected to the earth as the seasons change. Look around your home, go outside for a walk, get into nature, see what beauty you can gather. Nature mandalas are easy to create, follow your inner wisdom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment