Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Life Begins Now

Mindfulness refers to a quality that involves bringing one's complete attention to the present experience on a moment-to-moment basis. 

Hope for the Flowers


In this moment, my maternity leave for my second son is coming to an end, but it is just the beginning of something new. This week I will return to work and begin teaching yoga again. This being my first blog entry coinciding with Spring and personal change, I will develop and learn a new routine to balance, life, love, and work.  Once a routine develops and runs smoothly, it will inevitably change again, it is a cycle.  The constancy of change can bring about many emotions; fear of the unknown, insecurity of how to handle a new situation, excitement, hope or anger.  These days it is impossible to not live in the moment with young children.  They live, breathe, eat, sleep, cry, laugh, scream, procrastinate, and rebel.  Rather than become frenzied, irrational, or impatient, I just go with it.  My effort is to remain calm with whatever is happening, and 'attempt' to respond with acceptance and patience.  When I find myself overwhelmed, anxious or angry in any situation, which can happen often on any given day, I pause, breathe, and remember the big picture.  What is most important right now?  My goal is to not react with fear, anger or violence but with wisdom, kindness and compassion.  This morning my older son of three years, started to stand up in his chair and climb up and out the kitchen window, which was half closed and had a screen in place. Before I reacted out of fear, I asked him calmly, "Where are you going?" he stopped climbing, turned to face me and said; "I want to see the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment